Saturday, April 30, 2011

My pageant interview (4/27)


As most of you know, I joined the Miss NY Chinese beauty pageant this year. My interview was last Wednesday to get into the semi-finals (40). Here's what went on:
I went to the hair salon to get my hair washed and straightened then got my make up done at the wedding store. I felt like I had too much blush on but I guess it was okay. I changed into everything and we drove to Flushing. 
Honestly speaking, I thought the girls weren’t going to be that pretty. I think all of us expected that because of the girls that we saw online. I was the first girl there I think? They told me to go in at 12 for filming but I shouldn’t have because I just sat there and waited 3 hours. Girls started coming in and I was the only one with my mom. I also felt bad because I didn’t wanna eat and she didn’t eat either so I told her to get food for herself. The other girls that came didn’t seem so dressed up and I felt kinda awkward at first but then other people arrived dressed up like me. 
So let me tell you… I felt SO intimidated seeing all the other girls. There were about 9 girls interviewing with me today and they were all really pretty, skinny, tall and had nice hair. I wasn’t expecting them to be that pretty really but I talked to the other girls and they all thought the same haha. 
Once I arrived, I just gave them everything they told us to bring (paperwork related) and we had to fill out some forms. Then we just sat and waited. They were filming for Pageant TV which is going to premiere on TVB I think. It’s going to be a show on the whole process and behind the scenes. Anyways, I sat on the couch and it was underground so I had no service on my phone. There was a girl next to me named Mercedes and she actually goes to Judy for image consulting classes and she signed up for this like last year. I thought she was so prepared and ready for this. But we just started talking and getting to know each other. Everyone was really nice but in the end, this is still a competition but I’m not going to do anything shady or unfair haha. I feel like I’m everyone’s little sister because everyone else is 20+.
I was actually the last one to go since my appointment was for 4 anyways. We had a mic put on us cause they recorded our interview and I had to walk into this big studio room and there were only two guys sitting down and the camera people. It was bright because of the camera equipment. Judy made sure my back was straight and I had good posture. Anyways, I walked in and sat down on the chair while they asked me questions. They ask everyone different questions though. Then they asked what my talent was. If you dance, you don’t have to perform but if you sing, you’ll have to sing a few seconds. I told them I did both but my singing wasn’t ready because I was sick last week. This made me relieved because I was most worried about the dance. 
Then the camera person asked me to say some things to the video camera and I got some shots taken. I also had to cat walk three times. That was hard in 6 inch heels! They also took a picture of me with my hair all pulled back. They told me that I needed to practice walking in heels more. Then I was asked if I had anything else planned for summer so I felt pretty good about my interview. 
After that I just changed back into my pants and it felt so good to be comfortable again. My mom picked me up and we went to get food cause I didn’t eat all day. When I got home, the other girls and I found each other on Facebook and we just added each other. Everyone was so pretty and I wish all of them good luck!
Here are some of my favorite pictures from my photoshoot! I don't have all of them yet so I'll post some more once I get them all on a CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment