Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dream or reality?

I think when most people that have known me hears that I’m in a beauty pageant, they get shocked. I still feel like this is all a dream. In the beginning, my mom thought I wasn’t qualified because she thought all pageant girls had perfect hair unlike me and the look that I didn’t have. A friend told me she wouldn’t have the confidence to go up there if she were me and I was constantly reminded that this world is full of more gorgeous girls. Being in a pageant requires you to have a talent and honestly, this is one of the biggest things I lack. Yeah, I love dancing and I’m okay at it but I’ve never had proper training while other girls are professionals at the things they do. To myself, my family, and my friends, I’m probably just another ordinary girl. What have I done in the past that was so amazing? Thinking back on it, I really haven’t had any great accomplishments. There are girls in this pageant attending NYU and Princeton.
I decided I was going to do this pageant after I attended the Press Conference. I saw normal girls talk about their experience and it really let me know that I actually have a chance. After a while, my mom realized this is a great opportunity for me to learn new things and she started supporting me. My friends supported me and were really excited for me. I got a lot of encouragement from my followers and I wanna thank you all so much.
I am not saying this just so I can list all my struggles. I have confidence in myself despite all the people who may think I can’t do it. There are 13 other gorgeous, talented girls I’m competing against but I’m not just here for the grand title. I’m here for the experience, to meet new people and network, to learn things I can’t learn anywhere else and to challenge myself. Hey, I came all this way so what’s going to stop me now? I got one of the spots in the final 14 out of hundreds of girls and it wasn’t just given to me.
The point is, when I was small, I always thought I could only see these beauty pageants on television. Never have I thought I could be one of those girls standing on stage. The girls who got to come out on the newspaper and got their make up and hair done. I’m just this ordinary girl living in New York City that’s still in high school. I’m really glad I got to prove some people wrong because I can do this and I will improve to make myself better.

No comments:

Post a Comment